For the first time the Annual General Meeting and Conference is held in Wellington - New Zealand's capital of cool at the Amora Hotel on June 7th and 8th with an optional famil to Matiu-Somes Island.
Committee in 2014: Sharron Hickman (Chairer and Membership Secretary), Helen Tait (Secretary), Damian Nowak (Financial Officer), Vera Huehn (Past chairer and Webadministrator), Marianne Weissbach, Guy King, Clark Pollitt, Robert Miernik as ordinary committee members.
Highlights from the conference mentioned were
- The impromptu dinners are Matterhorn Restaurant and Olive Restaurant.
- The speakers: Cher Knights from DOC, Pania Tyson-Nathan from Maori Tourism, Tom Parsons from ServiceIQ, Anne-Marie Johnson from TIANZ and Silke Bieda from Heritage New Zealand.
- The guided walking tour of Cuba Street conducted by city councillor and renowned photographer - Simon Woolf.
- The visit to Commonsense Organics and the presentation by Anna.
- The visit to Mojo Coffee Roastery and the presentation by Alan.
- The visit to the Holocaust Centre and the presentation by Inge Woolf.
- The visit to the tattoo / moko museum and the presentation by Steve.
- The visit to Old St Pauls and the guided tour conducted by Bernard.
- The Seal Coast Safari tour with Kent.
- The visit to Matiu / Somes Island and the guided tour of the island with Gerald.
Achievement / Goals
- Several press releases and media contacts with tourism industry stakeholders
- One year of DOC concession for ProGuides. Subsequent meetings with DOC's compliance team has led to introducing Cher Knights to look at concession holders in the tourism industry. Cher Knights speaks about DOC and ProGuides' concerns at our AGM and conference in Wellington
- One year of running the association under the revised Constitution and the introduced Operations Manual has shown an easy flow of processes and a more transparent way of constitutional understanding and procedures. A great success. The Operations Manual is reviewed on an annual basis and will be of great help to committee and members alike
- Almost one year of membership to the WFTGA (World Federation of Tour Guides Association) with ProGuides being the only New Zealand member association. We will be looking forward to learning from each other and benefit from our shared visions in guiding.
Matakana in June, Whanganui and Central Plateau in September, Christchurch in September and Waiheke Island in October where memorable learning and discovery experiences.